October 2023 – Hub Site Update
Crop observation made by hub site staff during October.
Demo plot SRF
- Alder Is growing ok.
Black locust ‘Turbo’ is doing fine but there are gaps due to hare grazing before the fence was put up.
- Black Locust ‘Turbo Obelisk’ has suffered from early grazing.
- Poplar plants are growing fine.
- 12 plants look to have died.
- Low level weeds are present in the plot
- Some leaves are getting damaged by tree guards.
- Plants are growing fine; however, 23 plants seem to have died.
- There are some low-level weeds to control next growing season.
- Establishment is good.
- Rust is appearing on some plants.
- Low level weeds have been found but no need to control until next growing season.
- Lots of gaps due to problems with the planter used.
- Overall poorer growth across the site.
- Growing well.
- There is one area which needs to be replanted next season.
- Low level of weeds, no need to control it until next season.
- Poor establishment.
- Plant count has been made as shown below.
- Q 1= 17 Plants 17 x 400= 6800 plants/ ha
- Q 2= 17 Plants, 6800 plants/ha
- Q 3= 20 Plants, 8000 plants/ha
Grasses Demo plot
- Reed Canary Grass was not planted this autumn and conditions are now unlikely to be dry enough.
- The site is weed-free and sat in furrows.
- The aisles between crops have been sown with grass and clover mix.