March 2023 – Overview of progress to date
The arable site was in good condition. Baseline sampling took place after the winter wheat harvest and no specific remedial work was required at the site.
Fencing to protect planting where required
Temporary electric fences will be sufficient to protect the new plantings at this site. Grazer pressure is low.
Standard autumn ground preparation
- Once baseline sampling was complete, the site received a glyphosate application to kill any arable volunteers. All areas were then ploughed. Areas for Miscanthus and other energy grasses were left in plough over winter. Areas for woody species were power-harrowed and winter wheat was established.
- The site was monitored over winter and in February and March the following was reported:
- The site has been prepared into rough planting blocks (woody crops and grasses).
- A winter wheat cover crop has then been drilled on all wood crop plots but not on those due to have miscanthus planted – these have been ploughed and left bare instead.
Spring ground preparation
- When mechanical access is possible, and pre-cultivation, K2O will be applied based on the data from the baseline soil analysis made in December.
- SRC POP, SRF Demo plots, SRF POP, SRC willow variety trial and SRF EUC need no cultivation work. These areas will be hand planted once the areas have been sprayed off.