April and May 2023 – Hub Site Update
- Land preparation was completed ahead of planting, this included glysophate spray on the plots where poplar and bare-root varieties were to be planted.
- The area for Miscanthus variety trials was power-harrowed prior to their planting day scheduled for the 17th of April.
- The planting teams from Rothamsted Research arrived on the 16th of April with bare-root planting material. Plots were marked out. Also, some spot spraying of weeds was undertaken prior to planting to help prevent competition from the weeds.
- Planting was undertaken on the 17th by the Rothamsted team and the NIAB team.
- Alder, both Black Locust varieties, Eucalyptus and SRF Poplar were planted on the 17th.
- The team returned on the 18th to plant the SRC Poplar plot.
- The NIAB team subsequently installed tree guards on the Alder, Eucalyptus and SRF Poplar.
- The NIAB team also cut back the Black Locust plants as per instructions.
- Several hares have been spotted, so fencing will be needed to protect the young plants.