June 2023 – Hub Site Updates
- The Willow variety trial was planted 7th/8th and 9th of June.
- When the weather changed mid-Month the conditions changed as well, very quickly, and the ground has gone from partially waterlogged clay to dry and baked hard in places.
- The miscanthus trial plots and demo grasses plot were sprayed again to treat a flush of Creeping Buttercup.
- The Miscanthus Nurseries planting team arrived on 26th May with a four-seat planter and two dumpy bags of Miscanthus x giganteus rhizomes. We power-harrowed their plot in the morning, then provided a tractor and driver to pull their four-man planter. The planting was done by the end of the day. The plot is now to be rolled. The last sections of the Miscanthus variety trial plot were also planted up.
- The SRC Willow plots have produced a new flush of grass growth. We plan to spray this off before the Rothamsted team comes planting.
- All SRF trees and SRC Poplar have started into growth.
- The Miscanthus varieties are showing signs of growth on approx. 50% of rhizomes and plugs.