April and May 2023 – Hub Site Updates
- The areas for bare-root tree planting and SRC and SRF Poplar rods and stems were successfully sprayed off with Glysophate prior to planting. This had been a concern as the ground had been far too soft to support a tractor but had dried enough for a quad bike and spray unit to cover the area.
- Delivery of deer-proof fencing has been made to the site and a start date for installation from the contractor is imminent.
- The varieties to be planted arrived on the 24th of April.
- Planting was carried out over the next couple of days. They were joined by several volunteers from North Wyke who helped with the planting. The Alder, Black Locust varieties and Eucalyptus bare-root trees were all planted as well as the SRC and SRF Poplar.
- All tree guards were put on and cutting back of the Black Locust was performed as per instructions.
- The area for the Miscanthus variety trial was power-harrowed prior planting on the 27th of April. Morning rain made for quite difficult planting conditions for the team from IBERS.