October 2023 – Hub Site Update
The SRUC Auchincruive Estate hub site in Ayrshire experienced a very wet, windy, and cold October
Operational processes undertaken
- All plots have been strimmed and tidied.
- Glyphosate was applied to the Miscanthus Athena 2024 plot and to paths/corridors.
Weed and pest status and control
- Mainly fat hen in the willow & miscanthus plots.
- Inter-row strimming has been done (not in the Miscanthus).
Observations from the different plant plots
- Rust – Most of the alder trees are quite heavy with rust 4-6 on scale.
- Actual rust scoring data will be submitted soon.
- Quite a lot of senescence/abscission.
SRF Black Locust ‘Turbo’
- The SRF Black Locust ‘Turbo‘ is now getting quite tall.
- It is better/taller/healthier than at the Boghall, Edinburgh site.
SRF Black Locust ‘Turbo Obelisk’
- The Black Locust ‘Turbo Obelisk’ is getting taller.
- However, there are also some very small trees.
- Looking quite healthy.
- No sign of rust.
- No sign of disease or insect damage.
- Some had been knocked over so we had to take the green guards off to set them upright again.
- Some rows of SRC Poplar are still quite small.
- Quite heavy with weeds – inter-row strimming was carried out on 24th October.
- The SRC willow is growing very tall!
- Inter-row weeding was completed on 23rd October.
- Some rust has been noticed– but only 1-2 on the scale.
- The Miscanthus Giganteus is growing well.
- The Fat Hen in this plot is dying/already dead.
- Glyphosate was applied on 16th October.