September 2023 – Hub Site Update
Scotland experienced something of a heatwave at the beginning of September and then turned cold (and wet) later.
Operational processes undertaken
- The Electric fencing still needs to be erected (once the tractor has sprayed the glyphosate on grass demo plots and corridors etc).
- Strimming and spraying have been ongoing to control weeds.
Weed and pest status and control
- Fat hen is prolific across the whole site. Corridors and paths have been topped (still to be sprayed).
- Inter-row strimming and spraying are ongoing.
- SRF Poplar and SRF demo plot inter-row spraying was carried out on 14th Sept 2023.
- There are no obvious diseases or grazing issues.
Observations from the different plant plots
Demo plot SRF
- Alder growth seems to have slowed down.
- Black locust ‘Turbo’ plants are growing well and getting bushy.
- Black Locust ‘Turbo Obelisk’ plants have started to grow.
- The SRF Poplar is growing well and getting really tall.
- The Eucalyptus denticulata is growing tall.
- Other varieties are growing well but not as tall.
- The SRC Poplar is growing well and is generally healthy.
- The SRC Willow is growing fast and is already very tall!
- No further caterpillars were spotted since August.
- The Miscanthus Giganteus is getting very tall.
- The Fat hen in this plot is starting to die.
- Despite the slow start, some Miscanthus Athena plants are growing tall (knee height), and more plants are appearing daily.