September 2023 – Hub Site Update
The SRUC Edinburgh site experienced something of a heatwave at the beginning of September but it turned colder later in the month.
The electric fencing is still to be erected (once the tractor has sprayed the glysophate on the grass demo plots and corridors). Strimming and spraying have been ongoing to control weeds. Eucalyptus & SRF poplar inter-row spraying was carried out on 13th September, the SRF demo plots and SRC Poplar plot are planned for spraying next. The Sida plot will need to be hand rouged (OSR/Charlock).
The Grass Demo plots were glysophate sprayed on 4th September.
Some light deer grazing has been noted in the willow variety trial (but not in SRC willow plot).
Observations from the different plant plots
Demo SRF plots
- Alder growth is slowing – some senescence.
- Black locust ‘Turbo’ doing OK – haven’t seen any more beetles.
- Black Locust ‘Turbo Obelisk’ is not doing well at all – very low emergence rate
- The SRF Poplar is growing very well and is very tall
- There are a couple of snapped trees.
- 1 or 2 are dead (reasons unknown)
- The Eucalypytus denticulata is growing tall.
- Other varieties are also growing well.
- The SRC Poplar trees remain quite small. They are growing well but not as tall as the SRF.
- The SRC Willow is growing very well
- The Miscanthus Giganteus is growing well.
- The Miscanthus Athena has had a Metsulfuron and MCPA application, emergence looks better than it did prior to this application. (applied on 30th Aug).
- The Miscanthus Variety Trials are growing well (some taller/denser than others)
Grasses Demo plot
- Large Sida rhizomes have appeared and are growing well.
- Small Sida rhizomes seem to be struggling to emerge.
SRC Willow Variety Trial
- Most varieties in the Willow variety trial are growing well.
- The main weeds are OSR/charlock.
- The Black Bean aphids are declining on the willow.
- No obvious diseases have been detected.